Are you a casualty focused Commercial Lines Underwriter? Do you like to look at challenging risks with a problem-solving mind? Special Risks Insurance Managers is currently seeking a Senior Commercial Lines Underwriter, Team Lead to lead one of our growing teams in BC. This is a key role with room for further growth within our company. With offices in Downtown Vancouver and Langley, we have multiple locations and offer remote work options as well!
If you are looking for an opportunity in a fast paced, motivating, hybrid work environment with great benefits, where you are empowered in your role, you may be the exact person we are looking for!
Since the people we work with are as important as what we do in our roles, click here to get to know Jessica Fryer our Assistant Vice President & Director of Underwriting.
As a Senior Underwriter, you will
- Review & apply pricing, terms & conditions to new & renewal business.
- Maintain & grow the existing book of business.
- Establish & strengthen relationships with retail producing brokers by encouraging additional submission inflow.
- Provide high level commentary & market intelligence to the SRIM management team.
- Develop broker relationships by attending broker meetings, conventions & functions.
- Participate in discussions with markets & add commentary on specific programs
- Discuss new product development opportunities
- Act as a leader in the organization, mentoring junior colleagues in the UW team, including sign off where applicable.
- Assist members of the UW team with workflow balance and setting of goals/objectives
- Conduct weekly team meetings to communicate updates & initiatives with team members
What you bring to the team
- Strong organization, prioritization, and time management skills to complete assignments efficiently and within structured timelines
- An eye for detail to handle new business quotations with a high degree of accuracy
- Positive, driven, and disciplined attitude with a solutions focus
- Self-motivated to meet competitive individual and team-related targets
- Strong independent work ethic
- Ability to work harmoniously in a team environment & collaborate with teammates
- Strong written language, and professional communication skills
- Flexible and adaptable to change
- Strong negotiation skills
- Understanding of Microsoft Office Suite
- Level 1- General Insurance license (or the ability to obtain within a certain time frame)
- CAIB, CIP, CRM, FCIP or working towards a finalizing a designation is preferred
- 7+ Years Commercial underwriting experience.
What we bring to the table
- A fulfilling company culture that empowers our people, provides personal support & mentorship, professional growth, and career advancement.
- Competitive Salary
- Bonus Structure
- Company-matched RRSPs
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) through our parent company Brown & Brown (BRO)
- Extended medical benefits through Canada Life
- Job Stability
- Continuing education and professional designation subsidy
- A positive and collaborative environment; teammates are rewarded on their performance and achievement of goals.
- An environment where a proactive and entrepreneurial attitude thrives.
We are an award-winning incorporated Managing General Agent (MGA) serving Canada’s specialty and niche product insurance markets, offering one of the most comprehensive product lines available. Established over 20 years ago, Special Risk Insurance Managers has grown to encompass a wide range of niche and specialty products including Hard to Place Casualty & Property, High Value Residential, Sports, Leisure & Entertainment; Health & Beauty, Special Events, Inland Marine, Logging, Aviation and Marine.
Throughout our growth we have remained true to what has enabled our success: our work culture, service to our brokers, and strong relationships with our markets.
For more information about the products offered by Special Risk Insurance Managers, please refer to our expanded product guide.
Click here to apply.
*Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted